WHAT IS "SITTING DISEASE"?
The term “Sitting Disease” has been coined by the medical community and refers to metabolic syndrome and the cumulative negative effects of prolonged sitting and a sedentary lifestyle.
While sitting down may seem harmless, you may be surprised by the negative impact it has on your health. Negative effects such as increased risk of:
- Heart Disease
- Breast & Colon Cancer
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Parkinson's Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Liver Disease
- Early Onset Dementia
- Muscle Atrophy
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Spinal Injuries & Subluxation
The cumulative effects of prolonged sitting are so negative, wide-ranging and pervasive that sitting disease has come to be seen as the new smoking.
The Office Gym can play a big part in reversing or slowing those effects by making your time at your desk improve your health instead of hurting it.
The Office Gym can also be a safe, easy gateway to an all-around healthier lifestyle for people who never thought that a fitness-based lifestyle was available to them, thought it was too hard or didn't know how to get started.
The Office Gym can help you counteract the effects of sitting disease and improve your life by:
- Raising your heart rate periodically throughout the day
- Stopping muscle atrophy and building lean muscle
- Burning fat
- Increasing blood flow back up from the legs into the torso (venous return) decreasing the chances of varicose veins
- Stimulating the flow of endorphins, chemicals in the brain that trigger a positive feeling in the body and mind often described as “euphoric”
- Turning a sedentary workday into an opportunity to get fit and healthy without sacrificing time with family and friends
- Providing a safe, easy and effective way for people to begin exercising which can make exercising in other ways easier, more fun and more accessible
- Being the catalyst for people to live an all-around healthier lifestyle at work and at home
- Allowing already fit people to maintain their fitness level without spending so much time in the gym
You can find more information on the impact and dangers of "sitting disease":